Apparently, there’s a great chicken debate going down at City Hall. Yup. Last night I attended the City Council meeting and here’s what I learned.
- The ordinance would only allow hens. No roosters. (for obvious reasons) But I’m not sure how that all works if you don’t have a rooster present. If you know, please share!
- People want chickens. There were more people that spoke in favor of the proposed ordinance than there were in opposition. (Actually, the only person who spoke against it was from Animal Control… which people seem to think is against the law because she’s part of the official agency and she wasn’t there as just a citizen.)
- Chickens create far less waste than most domestic pets (dogs, cats) and their waste can be used as fertilizer. People did their research and spat out some interesting stats.
- Those who have chickens name their beloved pets. Oh… it’s true.
- And those that sit on City Council actually have a sense of humor.
I’m not sure when the decision is to be made, but I’d be pretty darn surprised if City Council won’t allow Annapolitans to raise their own chickens.
Feel free to voice an opinion, share a story… or fill us in on anything I may have missed.